We’re looking for a Head of Data to lead the development and execution of our data engineering, business intelligence and data science initiatives.
Annual payment volume at GoCardless exceeds $1 billion, and we’re processing tens of thousands of transactions every day. Using data to drive GoCardless’ product development and operational decisions is a critical part of fulfilling our mission to build a global payments network for the internet. You will hire and lead a team of data engineers, analysts and scientists to implement first class data systems, tooling and products.
The roleYou will lead the Data team, making sure it can fulfil its objectives in the three core areas: data pipelines and warehousing; analysis infrastructure, tooling and reporting; and data science initiatives to enhance GoCardless’ capabilities as a payments provider.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Hiring, mentoring and coaching Data team members
- Planning long-term strategy and the team roadmap by gathering requirements from other leaders
- Developing data products in partnership with product managers
- Hands-on contributing to data projects. Past projects include building a fraud detection system, and rebuilding our BI & reporting system to make it easier for everyone at GoCardless to access data.
- Enhancing our range of self-serve analysis tools and coaching staff to use these effectively.
- Ensuring operational responsibilities are being met, and driving the adoption of best practices in testing, security, and monitoring the availability and correctness of data.
Who we're looking for
We want to work with collaborative leaders, who have a strong background in developing modern data systems and team management. We’re looking for someone who communicates clearly, enjoys working with others, and is a pragmatic decision-maker.
- You have strong Python, R (or similar) and SQL skills.
- You have been involved in defining and delivering a long-term vision spanning 2 to 5 years.
- You have built and maintained performant data systems.
- You have experience advocating for innovation and engineering best practice.
- You have managed and shipped technical projects.
- You have hired and led a team of four or more data specialists.
- You're passioned about coaching, mentoring, and helping teammates advance in their careers.
Bonus points for:
- Experience designing data warehouses and assembling data pipelines, including familiarity with tools such as Amazon RedShift and Google BigQuery.
- Experience deploying BI analysis tools such as Tableau
- Computer Science degree, or equivalent experience.
Our team come from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you’re unsure, please apply.